Date(s) - 09/17/2018 - 11/19/2018
2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Event Phone: 828-274-4406
F R E E Workshop
Many older adults experience a fear of falling. People who develop this fear often limit their activities, which can result in physical weakness, making the risk of falling even greater. A Matter of Balance is a program designed to reduce the fear of falling and increase activity levels among older adults. It includes 8 two-hour sessions for a small group of 8-12 participants led by a trained facilitator. This nationally recognized program was developed at the Roybal Center at Boston University.
The program is designed to benefit older adults who:
- Are concerned about falls
- Have sustained falls in the past
- Restrict activities because of concerns about falling
- Are interested in improving flexibility, balance and strength
- Are age 60 or older, community-dwelling and able to problem solve
What do participants learn?
The program enables participants to achieve significant goals. They gain confidence by learning to:
- View falls as controllable
- Set goals for increasing activity
- Make changes to reduce fall risk at home
- Exercise to increase strength and balance
Registration Required. Participants must attend at least one of the first two sessions in order to participate.
Dates: 8 sessions (1 x week), Mondays, September 17 – November 19, 2018 (No class October 8 or November 12.)
Time: 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Contact: Heather Bauer, Outreach Manager, Master Trainer 828-274-4406 Home Instead Senior Care