Date(s) - 03/06/2017 - 03/22/2017
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Region C - Area Agency on Aging
Greetings from the Foothills!
We are going to have Lay Leader trainings here in Rutherfordton.
- March 6, 7, 8 and 9, 2017 – Living Healthy with Chronic Illness
- March 21, 2017 – Living Healthy with Chronic Pain – Cross Training
- March 22, 2017 – Living Healthy with Diabetes – Cross Training
Requirements for Living Healthy with Chronic Pain – Cross Training:
Must have the 4 day basic Living Healthy with Chronic Illness.
The Chronic Pain Self-Management Program is a workshop given two and a half hours, once a week, for six weeks, in community settings such as senior centers, churches, libraries and hospitals. Workshops are facilitated by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are peers with chronic pain themselves.
Subjects covered include:
1) techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, isolation, and poor sleep
2) appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance,
3) appropriate use of medications,
4) communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals,
6) pacing activity and rest, and,
7) how to evaluate new treatments.
Requirements for Living Healthy with Diabetes – Cross Training:
The Living Healthy with Diabetes workshop is given 2½ hours once a week for six weeks, in community settings such as churches, community centers, libraries and hospitals. Living Healthy with Chronic Illness 4 day training subjects covered include:
1) techniques to deal with the symptoms of diabetes, fatigue, pain, hyper/hypoglycemia, stress, and emotional problems such as depression, anger, fear and frustration;
2) appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength and endurance;
3) healthy eating
4) appropriate use of medication; and
5) working more effectively with health care providers.
Participants will make weekly action plans, share experiences, and help each other solve problems they encounter in creating and carrying out their self-management program. Physicians, diabetes educators, dietitians, and other health professionals both at Stanford and in the community have reviewed all materials in the workshop.
- For Region C Providers (McDowell, Polk, Rutherfordton and Cleveland Counties) and Region B (Land of Sky AAA) the registration is free.
- For participants outside Region B or C, the charge will be $100 for each training.
- Lunch, snacks and materials will be provided.
Please register for:
- Living Healthy with Chronic Illness by February 20, 2017
- Living Healthy with Diabetes and/or Chronic Pain (Cross Trainings) by March 10, 2017