If you answered YES to one or more questions - Talk with your doctor by phone or in
person BEFORE you start becoming much more physically active or BEFORE you have
a fitness appraisal, tell your doctor about the PAR-Q and which questions you answered
● You may be able to do any activity you want - as long as you start slowly and build up gradually.
Or, you may need to restrict your activities to those that are safe for you. Talk with your doctor
about the kinds of activities you wish to participate in and follow his/her advice.
● Find out which community programs are safe and helpful for you.
If you answered NO to all PAR-Q questions, you can be reasonably sure that you can:
● Start becoming much more physically active-begin slowly and build up gradually. This is the
safest and easiest way to go.
● Take part in a fitness appraisal-this is an excellent way to determine your basic fitness so that
you can plan the best way for you to live actively.
Delay becoming much more active:
● If you are not feeling well because of a temporary illness such as a cold or a fever-wait until
you feel better.
Please note: If your health changes so that you then answer YES to any of the questions, tell your
fitness or health professional. Ask whether you should change your physical activity plan.