Social Bridging NC is a partnership between the North Carolina Division of Aging and Adult Services and the North Carolina Center for Health and Wellness. At Social Bridging NC, we are committed to promoting social connectedness and to helping you if you are feeling lonely or want more social connection.
Social Bridging NC
Visit our Social Bridging NC website to:
- Learn more about virtual programs you can join that are available at no cost to you
- Take a Social Engagement Self Assessment
- Connect with a trained caller for conversation and help with finding local resources
- Learn more about how social isolation can impact your health
- Find other resources in your area and across the state to help you stay engaged and connected with others!
What is Social Isolation?
According to the AARP Foundation more than 8 million adults aged 50 and older are affected by isolation. Social isolation is a lack of relationships with others and little or no social support or contact. Recent research has shown that a lack of social connectedness can impact your health in many ways and the health risks associated with prolonged isolation are the same as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. Becoming more socially engaged can decrease your risk of:
- Heart disease and stroke
- Depression, anxiety and suicide
- Hospitalization and Emergency Department visits
How are Social Isolation and Loneliness Related?
- Loneliness is the feeling of being alone and can happen regardless of the amount of social contact you have.
- Social isolation can lead to loneliness in some people, while others can feel lonely without being socially isolated.
Find a Senior Center
Staying connected and engaged in activities is important to the physical and mental well-being of everyone. Check out the Find a Senior Center Map to find a Senior Center in your area. One way for older adults to do this is through one of NC’s multipurpose senior centers. Senior centers have long been a great community resource that provide services, information and education on additional aging resources, as well as offering a variety of health, fitness, and creative art activity classes. Click here to Find a Senior Center near you!