WHAT IS IT?
Enhance®Fitness is an evidence-based group physical activity program developed specifically for older adults. The exercises have been packaged into a formal regimen focusing on four key areas important to the health and fitness of mature participants: stretching and flexibility; low-impact aerobics; strength training; and balance. Classes provide social stimulation as well as physical benefits.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE ENHANCE®FITNESS PROGRAM?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recommended Enhance®Fitness as an effective arthritis management intervention, and while the Enhance®Fitness program is geared toward supporting those who have arthritis, the program may be suitable for any older adult, from the frail to the fit. The class can be taken seated or standing, and instructors are trained in how to modify the exercises to suit the varying abilities of participants.
WHAT ARE THE COMPONENTS OF ENHANCE®FITNESS?
In a class, participants will experience:
- A certified Instructor with special training in bringing out the physical best from older adults
- A 5-minute warm-up to get the blood flowing to the muscles
- A 20-minute aerobics workout that gets participants moving, or a walking workout to lively music that the class chooses
- A 5-minute cool-down
- A 20-minute strength training workout with soft ankle & wrist weights (0-20 pounds)
- A 10-minute stretching workout to keep the muscles flexible
- Balance exercises throughout the class
- An atmosphere that encourages social interaction, which is a vital part of health and well-being for older adults